January 29 - February 3, 2018
Catholic Schools Week '18
Learn. Serve. Lead. Succeed.
Along with schools and parishes throughout The Catholic Diocese of Salt Lake City and the nation, Judge Memorial Catholic High School will celebrate National Catholic Schools Week 2018. The theme for Catholic Schools Week 2018 is: “Learn. Serve. Lead. Succeed.”
Our Diocese has three Catholic High Schools and thirteen Elementary Schools serving nearly 5,500 students throughout the state. Catholic School’s Week is a time to be grateful and celebrate who we are as Catholic schools: offering a strong academic program in a Catholic environment of respect and care for all peoples who challenging each other to be a positive presence in the world. During this week, each school has special service projects they will undertake.
Peer Ministry initiatives: Our Judge Memorial Peer Ministers will spearhead a number of initiatives to mark Catholic Schools Week. These include, but are not limited to, offering additional morning prayer opportunities in the Chapel, coordinating the school-wide Liturgy, helping to raise money for a charity organization, hosting lunch time service projects for the week, and more.
School-Wide Liturgy: Judge Memorial will hold a school-wide liturgy to celebrate Catholic Schools Week on Wednesday Jan. 31, 2018 in the auditorium. All members of our community are invited. Fr. Marcin Szymanski form St. Catherine’s Newman center will be our celebrant.
Charity Organization: Highlighting the statement that: “We Are A Faith of Action”, Judge Memorial will be raising funds for Mali Rising Foundation. Their mission is to empower the children of Mali, West Africa by expanding and improving educational opportunities for them within their own villages. (Visit malirisingfdn.org for more information on this organization.) All donations collected during Catholic School's Week, will go directly to Mali Rising Foundation. Judge Memorial hopes to raise $11,000 in order to build one entire classroom in Sankama, West Africa.
Catholic Schools Week Themes and Celebrations:
Monday, January 29 - "Your Favorite Artist Day"
- Students may dress in artist-themed shirt (author, musician, content creator, etc.) with uniform bottoms with a $3 minimum donation
Tuesday, January 30 - “Sports Jersey Day”
- Students may dress in their favorite Judge, collegiate, or professional sports team top with uniform bottoms with a $3 minimum donation. Need a Judge shirt? Stop in the Spirit Shop!
Wednesday, January 31 - “Support Your Cause Day”
- Students may dress in a "cause"-themed top (Pink for Breast Cancer Awareness, Orange for Leukemia Awareness, Blue/Green for Clean Air, etc.) with uniform bottoms with a $3 minimum donation.
Thursday, February 1 - "Throwback Thursday"
- Students may dress in shirt or top from the past with uniform bottoms with a $3 minimum donation
Friday, February 2 - "Class Color War!" & "Jeans for Jesus"
- Students may wear a top in their class color with "Jeans for Jesus" with a $5 minimum donation
- seniors wear black tops
- juniors wear red tops
- sophomores wear white tops
- freshman wear yellow tops
For more information visit the NCEA's NCSW website: http://ncea.org/our-services/catholic-schools-week or visit local Catholic Schools website at: http://www.dioslc.org/catholicschools or contact:
Sr. Catherine Kamphaus,
Associate Superintendent of Catholic Schools
Catholic Diocese of Salt Lake City
801.328.8641 x 330